Monday, December 5, 2011

I was the Hare :(

I attempted a long run in Central Park this weekend.  My goal was to take one full lap of the park, starting at the 90th Street entrance and heading north.  I knew that the park was hilly but I seriously underestimated just how difficult those hills would be on my stamina.  It was supposed to be just over 6 miles but I wound up ditching out at just under 5.5.

To be honest, it wasn't just the hills that did me in.  I spent the first two miles or so getting passed by every other runner I saw.  Usually I don't mind so much because I'm passing people, too, but that just wasn't the case.  Once I started to get lower down in the park, I was passed my three separate guys who were running just a tad faster than me.  Instead of trying to keep pace with them, letting them go by and remaining focused on my goal of finishing 6 miles or anything else reasonable, I decided to blow them away on the down hills.  And I did.  Three times.  Unfortunately, I burnt myself out like that and had to slow down to a walk for a few yards and watch them disappear down the road. 

It was fun despite the fact that my ego took a beating, so I shook it off and got back to pace.  Then I got slower... and slower... and slower.  I was back on the East side of the park by this point and it was very crowded.  I tried to walk for a minute and then get back to it but my legs refused to run.  It was infuriating.  I tried to push myself but my stomach made it clear that if I kept running, I would throw up.  I know that's a part of running hard but my ego refused to admit that running less than six miles at an average of 9 min/mile, would be enough to make me toss my cookies. 

I gave in.  I walked the last half mile back to NYRR to change and get my bag.  They were having a number pick up for a race so I felt extra rotten about ditching out because I was suddenly surrounded by serious runners.  I did, however, decide right then and there that I would 1) spend every weekend trying to conquer the hills at Central Park and finish my one full loop  2) learn to tune out any other runners and embrace my inner tortoise  3) someday become a serious runner.

Wish me luck.

No comments: