Friday, December 2, 2011

Racing in the Winter

I'm getting ready for the NYE run in Central Park and I'm a little worried about what to wear.  On the one hand, I don't want to check my stuff because I don't want to have to wait on line to get it back.  I'm pretty sure everyone will be hanging out for the party afterwards but I'll be the stag so I'm planning to dash home right away. 

On the other hand, I'm afraid I might freeze my ass off getting there and then waiting for the race to begin.  So the solution, so far as I see it, is to layer strategically.  I figure it'll be cold enough that I'd want my base shirt and a middle layer on during the run but I won't want my outer layer on once I get moving.  That's fine, as it's light weight and I can tie it around my waist without too much fuss. 

But even still, winter running gear isn't that warm when you're not running, so I bought a head buff so as I heat up, I can reconfigure it.  It's a dorky piece of gear but after the Turkey Trot, I can definitely see it's appeal.
This is a head buff.  I'm SO getting an Irish flag one for when I run the Shamrock in March.

If it's really cold, I'll get arm warmers that I can take off or roll down before the race to wear over my base layer.  Pretty much the same idea as the buff, I can adjust.

But what if it's really really cold?  What if I need to keep my core warm while I wait but not while I run?  I mean, getting from Brooklyn to Central Park at night on the weekend can be a trek when it's not a holiday.  That's a long time left to shiver.  That's when it occurred to me:  Why not wear something I won't mind throwing away before the race?  And I happen to have just the thing.  Finally, I have a reason for not burning this shirt!



No comments: